Road Trip - St Louis

We left Branson bright and early for the 4 1/2 hour drive to St Louis. Luckily, we traveled on an interstate and it was smooth sailing all the way. For at least 50 miles, we passed a billboard for a candy factory. When we finally reached it, we decided we had to go. Great advertising, huh? It didn’t disappoint. They made taffy, fudge, and other chocolate goodies as well as having every kind of current and retro candy imaginable.

The first thing we decided to do in St Louis was the Anheuser-Busch Tour. Bud’s first brewery, established in 1852, continues to make the country’s most popular beer and we got to see step by step how it’s made.

Clydesdales stable

The first wagon

Lager cellar

Brew house

Packaging plant

And finally we reached the hospitality room were we got two free, full sized samples of 16 beers on tap.
I'm not a beer drinker at all. Those two samples got me a little buzzed!

After the tour, we met up with my sister’s father-in-law. Coincidentally, he was in town for a conference and asked if he could take us out to dinner. We picked him up at his hotel which was the former Union Station. He showed us around the hotel and we walked through the mall that once held all the train tracks. While waiting for a table at The Hard Rock CafĂ© we ended up by this pond where a million carp were waiting to get fed. After getting some fish food out of the machine, they swarmed over to us, swimming on top of each other to eat. It was so creepy!

The next morning we slept in a little and took our time getting packed before we went to the hotel’s breakfast buffet. It was so good! Among every breakfast food you can think of, there was also an omelet station, a crepe station, and fresh pancakes were brought to our table. Yum. Then we drove down to the St Louis Gateway Arch. We got our tickets, but had an hour to kill, so we explored the Lewis and Clark museum and walked around the park.

Getting to the top was crazy. It’s basically an indoor ferris wheel. You get into a tiny five person pod and take the four minute ride to the top of the arch. After you climb a flight of stairs you can peek out little windows to get views of the city and of the Mississippi River. My sister and friend both freaked out. They were feeling claustrophobic and nervous about the little pod going up 600 feet. Besides being a little cramped and having to duck the whole time, it didn’t bother me at all.

Once we got to the top, we snapped a few pictures and went right back down.

Afterwards, we boarded the Tom Sawyer for a river tour of the city.

After our afternoon at the Arch it was time to go home. We had such a fun, whirlwind trip and I was so happy to see a part of the country I’ve never visited before. But I was so happy to get back home to my three boys! Seven days is a long time without them. Thank God for Skype.


Jessica Renee said...

That sounds like such a fun trip!! I would've been sooo claustrophobic in that pod too. ha!

We took a tour of the Coors Brewery in CO a couple years ago and we got 3 free beers but could only finish 2 each. Maybe because it was only 11 am? ha!

Rach said...

We only live a few hours from St. Louis but I've never been! Looks like you had a lot of fun!

JJ said...

wow that looks like an awesome vacay! I'm going there in June. I have lots of things to check out.

new follower :)

hotpants™ said...

I could never go up in the arch. I'm claustrophobic AND afraid of heights. I would totally die of a heart attack.

Lori said...

Looks like so much fun. I have never been to St. Louis but it is definitely on my list!

Karen Peterson said...

That looks like so much fun. I've never been to St. Louis.

And I had no idea you could actually go to the top of the arch. I'm not so sure I could handle that!